Excel through learning

Excel through learning
Your source of knowledge

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Reducing folder size for Microsoft Outlook's Calendar

Lately I keep receiving email from IT alert me that my mailbox has been over the size limit. The company gives us more than 500MB of storage size on the server. I've been working hard to remove all the large attachment in my mailbox, the alert never stop though. So, I start looking into the folder size of my account: Right click the exchange's account root node in the tree view, then click the "Properties for..." menu item. Refer figure 1.




Figure 1: Open the property windows of the outlook account


Then at the property windows, click the "Folder Size..." button. The "Folder Size" windows will be pop up as shown in Figure 2.



Figure 2: Folder Size windows


From here, I noticed that my calendar is the 2nd larges folder. That means I need to it is time to clean up my Calendar. However, the default view for the Calendar does not list out the items like the mail items. In order to view the Calendar as a list, in the Calendar view's menu, "View" -> "Current View" -> By Category. The Calendar view will change to list view as shown in Figure 3.



Figure 3: Calendar's List view


From here, we can sort the calendar items by size. Then it is easy for me to clean up all the previous invitation with large attachment.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the tip. You just saved me hours of opening each appointment in an attempt to determine which ones had large attachments and need to be deleted.

Unknown said...

Thank you, very useful tip.

Casey said...

Wow, good to know that my sharing actually useful. Thanks for the comments!

Unknown said...

Excellent - thanks for this.

Unknown said...

Casey, This is an excellent tip. I've been struggling to keep my outlook within storage limit size for years as I did not know an easy way to reduce the size of the calendar folder as it was the largest culprit.

Thanks for posting this tip!

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael said...

Thanks so much.

My wife couldn't get any emails because her calender was at the limit of her mailbox.

Some genius sent a 7 Mb file.

Keep up the GREAT WORK!!

Thanks from sunny san diego

Alexis said...

Know good tool which works with outlook files and possible more than-extract ost file address book,application is free as far as I know,utility permit to extract data from Microsoft Exchange Server replicas, stored on user workstations,effectively solves data extraction problems and can easily move your data into files with *.pst extension, that can be opened by any other program, compatible with Microsoft Outlook,also provides a possibility to search for *.ost and *.pst files on any removable media,tool has an intuitive graphic interface, that's why we do not care your level of computer skills.

Alex said...

In this situation I advise to use this software-ost to pst convertor,because tool has many facilities and it is free as far as I can see,also software helped me many times and program is reliable,it recover data from *.ost format and convert it to files with *.pst extension,restore your personal information, contacts, messages, tasks and calendars may be lost,extract your data from *.ost file, it is stored just to speed up your connection with Microsoft Exchange Server,permit to convert *.ost file to *.pst extension, that can be easily read by any email client, compatible with Microsoft Outlook. Owing to instability of *.ost files, they are often corrupted and may contain viruses, cause email is one of the most popular ways to distribute malware,allows to read even corrupted files and you do not need to put any modifications to recovery process,will never modify source files, so, if you are not satisfied with this program, you can always try to return back to the beginning of process.

Alexis said...

Yesterday my brother asked me about one unpleasant problem,exactly his mails were damaged.And we together solved this situation with help-recover ost file.Tool is free and we find it in social net our city.It can also recovering ost files will help you not to lose contacts of your partners, when Microsoft Exchange Server is out of order.

T-Writer said...

Thank you, Casey! Not even Microsoft provides info for reducing calendar size when they provide help on decreasing the pst size!! They spend their time on the mail which just about everyone already knows how to clean up.

Saurabh Agrawal said...

Thanks a bunch.....it really helped me to clean up my calendar, which was occupying 13.5MB of space...now it is gone down to 1.3MB....!